Trek for Tech - Race Day Details
Packet Pick Up:
Your registration packet will be available for pick up at these times and locations:
- July 24th – South Sound Running Tacoma 10am to 6pm
5109 Grand Loop, Tacoma 98407
- July 25th and 26th – Clover Park Technical College Foundation
4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW, Lakewood WA – Building 19, room 101
- July 27th Race Day – Check in Table – College Green.
Packet pick up will be from 7:45am to 8:45am.
Race Day Schedule
- 7:45am to 8:45am – Packet Pick-up and last minute registrations and waiver signed for kids
- 8:45am to 9:00am – Andy Fritz Scholarship Presentation
- 9:00ish – Race Start – because many of our volunteers would like to participate in the tree dedication, the race will start as soon as all volunteers are at their stations. We anticipate that to be shortly after 9:00.
- 10:30am – Prize Drawing on Andy’s bib way. We have great prizes this year, be sure to stick around. Your bib number is your drawing number and has been entered already.
- BEFORE 9:00 am (race start) you are able to drive / park anywhere on campus, the main race day parking will be in lots by Building 19 and 23. Race begins on the college green located between building 19 and 23.
- Since we are running/walking our full campus, when the race begins at 9:00 am, we will only have one entrance open for traffic and parking for the safety of our participants.
- AFTER 9:00 am (race start) parking will be located in front of Building 31 (Culinary Arts building).
- You will be able to access parking off of Lakewood Drive.
Andy Fritz Scholarship Presentation
As you know, we lost Andy Fritz, our beloved Environmental Science Program instructor, and well known for his marathon runs. This 2nd Annual run is in memory of Andy Fritz and we plan to award the First Andy Fritz Scholarship. Last year we dedicated a Garry Oak tree on campus in memory of Andy and I hope to stop to see how much it has grown.
As you start the run, you will notice that we have used many of Andy’s racing bibs from his marathon runs to outline the start and finish of this run.
- The start/finish line will be located by the purple CPTC tent in the middle of the college green. You will receive a campus map in your race packet with the course outline. The course will be two loops around campus.
- We will have plenty of course guides and signage to get you around our campus.
- We will have two water stations available on the course.
Race Finish and After Party
- First place Male and Female will win a certificate for a pair of running shoes from our Sponsor South Sound Running.
- Your bib number will be used for a drawing of running shoes (2 pair) compliments of South Sound Running at the end of the race. You must be present to win.
- All registered runners will receive their finisher’s medal (made by our Manufacturing Program) and designed by one of our graphic students at CPTC.
- Proceed forward to pick up your recovery bag sponsored by Molina Health Care for some after run nutrition.
- Then help yourself to ice cream and enjoy the music, visit our selfie station for a race day pic!
Restrooms will be located in Building 19 on race day.
History of the Andy Fritz Memorial Trek for Tech:
On December 19th 2017, Clover Park Technical College, (CPTC) lost a very important member of our family. Andy Fritz, our Environmental Sciences Instructor and his wife Jody were killed in a bus accident in Mexico while they were on vacation. Andy had a passion for his career, his students, and loved by many in the running community. If you knew Andy, you knew he was a runner. In fact, he was well known by many as a Marathon Maniac, completing over 160 marathons, ultra marathons and 431 races in his career.
When we came up with the idea of the Trek for Tech 5K, Andy was very active on this committee helping us select the date this year, and we spoke of many ways to promote a healthy lifestyle for our students and staff, by developing a “Desk to 5K” training program. Of course, we had no idea, it would become his memorial run and continue in his honor.
The Andy Fritz Memorial Trek for Tech 5K fun run is in partnership with the Clover Park Technical College Foundation. This event is designed not only to promote a healthy lifestyle, but proceeds from this run will make it possible for the CPTC Foundation to provide emergency assistance, scholarships, and vital support to CPTC and its students
Challenges our students may face include utility bill payments to keep the lights on to study, emergency food supplies, emergency rent payment, or medical bills. This support often makes the difference between staying in college or dropping out.
CPTC students are here to make a difference in their lives, and in turn, they will make a difference in our economy and our community. We should know, we have been doing it for 75 years!